OK, so before we go any further, here are three essential things to check:
1. Have you finished filling in all your business and store settings (including bank details and dispatch note)? If not, please go back one step and do this first before adding any products.
2. Do you have enough stock for this product? The amount of stock needed will depend on the price and popularity of the product, but as a rule of thumb, the absolute minimum required is three per variation (for clothing, this only needs to be the most popular sizes, e.g. S, M and L).
3. To start, please only upload one to three products. This will give us a chance to review your products and provide you with any feedback and changes to be made, so you can see how your products should be set up on hardtofind.
Now download our helpful product description guide below, then follow these instructions and away we go…
To add a product to your store:
- Click Products > + Add product
- Enter the Product name. Please note: product names should be in sentence case (for example, 'Personalised Leather Wristband'), literal and include any key words so they show up in the search. Please do not include ʻquoteʼ marks or your brand name - your brand name is already included on the product page. Keep it clear, but concise. Ideally, it should be fewer than 40 characters.
- Enter the Product description Please note: your product descriptions are effectively your sales pitch, so use them to your best advantage! Let customers know all you can about quality, uniqueness etc. Is there a story behind the product, or who the product is aimed at etc.
- If you are selling products containing alcohol, please add your Liquor Licence number in the product description as well as the following note: 'Customer must be over 18 years of age to purchase this product.'
- Next comes the different sections of the product information. There are a few different label fields, which have been pre-entered with labels. You can change the labels to whatever you wish, although we do recommend you use ours to keep things consistent across the site. Please note: the label field should indicate what is going to be in the content field. If the content section is left blank, then nothing will appear on the front end.
- Enter the Dimensions. You can leave the label as 'dimensions' or change it to something that better describes your product, e.g. chain length, circumference etc. If you have size variations (small/large etc.) please give dimensions of each size. For clothing and shoes, please indicate if they run true to size or if they run small, large etc. Please give as much information as you can about dimensions for each of your products, as this is so important when selling products online and will also help minimise returns.
- Enter the Material/s the product is made from.
- If relevant, enter the Care instructions (e.g. dishwasher safe, dry clean only etc.) This is particularly important for clothing products.
- Use the Other section to highlight a strong selling point or important information, eg) ‘origin: handmade by artisans in Turkey’ This section is optional, so if you don't want to include anything just leave the content field blank.
- Before adding your images, please download and print The hardtofind guide to product photography below.
- Add a Product image. Simply browse your image files and select a jpg, gif, png or zip. You can add as many product images as you like. To reorder product images, simply drag them into position. IMPORTANT: Make sure you include the Variation name under each product image, in the text box, so customers can tell which image relates to which variation. This is also good for SEO.
- Select a Product category. You will only have the option to choose one category per product. If you can't see the category you need, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note, if your product is niche, you might have to pop it in the most relevant existing category for the time-being.
- Select the age range and gender your product is most suited to. If your product is unisex the team can add these for you at the product approvals stage.
- Add a Base price. If you have variants within a product with different prices, this should be the lowest price. You can also select to offer a percentage off if you are wanting to put a product on sale. It’s important to remember that if you amend prices in the inventory & variations tab, this doesn’t automatically update the base price, so please always check that your prices are consistent.
- Select whether you would like to use your store's default delivery settings for this product or not. The default settings are the ones you have set up in your store settings section and include gift wrapping, other shipping options and the dispatch time frame.
- Set a Publish date. If you want your product to appear on the site straight away select 'right now' (default), or else select a specific date/time you would like your product published.
- Click 'Save and continue'. This will then take you to your inventory & variations tab, where you can set up any relevant variation menus/personalisation menus and enter stock levels to track stock.
- If you want to track inventory or add a variation for a product, please refer to product variations & personalised fields guide and ensure you have set everything up before you publish your product.
- If your product has no variations and you do not wish to track stock then scroll to the bottom and click Save & exit. Please note: once you save your product, the hardtofind editorial team needs to approve it before it goes live. This can take up to 48 hours on weekdays, or up to 96 hours on Fridays and weekends.
- Once approved, it can take a bit of time before a product shows in your store and all relevant categories on the site, so please be patient, there is no need to re-publish the product!
Have a product that’s similar to another one? Save yourself the hassle of starting from scratch and just duplicate it (woo hoo!). Please note, you can only duplicate products that have been already approved.
Duplicating a product will copy:
- Product name (with ‘duplicate of’ at the start)
- Product description
- Dimensions, material, care instructions and other fields
- Age & Gender
- Default store settings yes/no field
It will not copy:
- Inventory table
IMPORTANT: duplicating products should not be used in place of adding variations where appropriate.
To duplicate a product:
- Click Products, then select the visible product you wish to duplicate.
- Click the blue Copy / Duplicate this product button at the top of the page.
- Update the product name.
- Update any other relevant fields where necessary (product description, dimensions, material, care instructions, category, age/gender). Double-check for those sneaky little words that were only relevant to the other item. Please note, products that have not been amended where required will not be approved.
- Add images.
- Select publish Right Now, then click Save & Continue.
- Check the variations (if any) and edit if necessary. If not adding variations, skip to point 10.
- If using variations click, Save Product Variations.
- Update the inventory table as needed (see how here).
- Click Save & Exit.
That’s it! Your duplicated product is now in the approval queue waiting to go live on the site. Hooray!
Out of stock? Discontinued? No worries. It's really easy to remove products from your store. There's even a few ways you can do this…
- Mark as out of stock. In your inventory table, write the 'in stock' number as '0' and tick the 'Track Inventory' box. Click 'Save & Exit'. Recommended for when you are temporarily out of stock, but you will be getting more in soon.
- Unpublish the item. Click 'Products', then tick the box next to the item you wish to remove. Select 'Unpublish' from drop-down list at the bottom of the page. Recommended for when you won't be receiving any more stock for a while or if you're unsure if you'll be re-listing the item.
- Delete the item. Click 'Products', then tick the box next to the item you wish to remove. Select 'Delete' from drop-down list at the bottom of the page. Recommended for when an item has been discontinued.